Ryan Storm is 11 years old, and lives in Toronto with his mom, dad, little sister and little brother and likes to eat local, organic, healthy and nut-free foods. He has good taste (no pun intended) and in his quest to eat healthy, he rates and reviews!
Ryan started his blog Ry’s Ratings to review restaurants he goes to with his family. Now, he reviews everything from restaurants, products, people and markets – in writing and video
1. What is your favourite Sweets from the Earth product? And why?
My favourite product is definitely the dairy free chocolate cheesecake because of its chocolatey goodness with that cheesecakey touch that I don’t normally find in vegan cakes.
2. Do you follow any special diets?
No, but I’m mostly vegan with some goat/sheep dairy at home and meat about once every 3 months or so. I’ll eat anything when I’m out at a restaurant, as long as I know where it comes from. My sister has a nut allergy, so we have a strictly nut-free home.
3. What do you want to be when you grow up? And why?
There’s a funny story there. I want to be a musician, but my great grandfather made me promise to be a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, or an engineer.
4. When do you indulge and eat your Sweets – Morning/Afternoon/Night? Why?
I usually eat them for dessert at dinner or I pack them in my school lunch.
5. If you could be any superhero, who would it be and why?
I would be Organic Man, who uses his special power to show people around the world the benefits of an organic lifestyle. I chose this because I want to save thousands of people from being unhealthy.
6. It seems that at such a young age, you eat healthier than most adults. How and when did you start to eat this way?
It all started when my family figured out my sister had a nut allergy. Then, as my mom looked more closely at labels, she realized how bad the stuff we ate was, and we turned organic and learned to care about everything we were doing and eating more.
7. How do you deal with kids your own age who don’t understand your eating habits?
I try to explain why, but they don’t believe me and for some reason just keep eating crap. I just keep eating well, writing my food review blog, and I ignore it if they make fun, and know someday they’ll realize it’s true.
8. Name one person, dead or alive, who inspires you. Why?
My mom, because she was the one who made me aware of all the chemicals and toxins everywhere and showed me why eating organic is very healthy.