Martha was born in Toronto and grew up in the country in Owen Sound, Ontario. She attended the University of Toronto where she obtained her degree in Psychology and Art History. In her spare time she enjoys cooking, baking, photography, reading, Muay Thai kickboxing and Jiu-Jitsu. She is currently working at Sweets From the Earth (www.sweetsfromtheearth.com) in both the Gluten Free and Nut Free bakeries.
1. What is your favourite Sweets from the Earth product? And why?
My favourite product both to eat and to make are the Chocolate Pecan Caramel Bars. I enjoy working with the tempered chocolate and our recipe for vegan caramel is delicious. I also really liked the S’mores Cupcakes we had this summer.
2. When do you indulge and eat your Sweets – Morning/Afternoon/Night?
Pretty much any time. Some of our stuff can be pretty indulgent, so I’m glad we’ve got the muffins and loaves that are a little less rich for daytime snacks.
3. What is your position at Sweets from the Earth?
I work at the Gluten Free facility where I’m responsible for packaging most of the products and sending out daily orders, as well as doing the tempered chocolate work. I also work one day a week at the Nut Free bakery decorating cakes.
4. Do you follow any special diets?
I’ve been vegetarian since birth, vegan for the last seven years.
5. What do you like best about working for S.F.T.E?
I like working for a company that reflects my commitment to a vegan lifestyle and knowing that through our products, people see how delicious and accessible vegan food can be.
6. If you had enough money to retire right now, what would you do?
Travel the world visiting art galleries and trying out different restaurants
7. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you take with you?
My ipod, my dog Weetabix, and Ozzy from Survivor.