They say you eat with your eyes first. Although eating involves all of our sensory systems (taste, sight, smell, sound and touch), there’s only one working when we’re browsing everyone’s delicious creations on Instagram, and there’s no denying the impression made by simply looking at a great dish.
In the 1700’s, Louis XIV enjoyed multi-tiered tables with carefully decorated, luxurious foods – something reserved for the very wealthy. But it was Chef Marie-Anotine Careme, born in 1784, who arguably brought plating into the modern world. He presented dishes in the shapes of famous monuments, waterfalls, and pyramids, and is believed to have invented the croquembouche.
Although our sweets may be packaged simply, with a few quick tricks you can transform any of our desserts into high end, formal, plant-based delicacies.
This mouthwatering image of our Whoopie Pies was created by @sarina_jw.
The secret recipe:
- Choose your plate. Think of this as your canvas. Plain white is a popular choice to let the food visually pop, but a cute pattern, or vintage design can make a great statement too.
- Smear or drizzle. Decorate your plate with a smear of mushed banana or berry jam, a sprinkling of cinnamon, or a drizzle or chocolate or caramel sauce.
- Place your dessert. Cut your cookie in half. Place one half down on the plate, with the other half gently leaning on it. We recommend using our sinfully delicious Super Stuff Cookies (a sweet collaboration with Chef Doug McNish). These vegan, gluten-free, fudge or goji stuffed cookies are soft enough to cleanly cut in half, and reveal the beautiful superfood stuffing. If you’re looking for a nut free treat, we recommend trying our Whoopie Pies.
- Add a pop of colour, texture and flavour with a couple of small berries, sprig of mint, slices of banana, or shredded coconut.
Tip + tricks:
- Substitute one Super Stuff Cookie for two Flourless Cashew Cookies which are smaller in size
- Pop in a candle for a personal-sized birthday treat
- Serve with a shot glass of your favourite non-dairy milk
Mix it Up is a series we created to share new and creative ways to enjoy our sinfully delicious sweets! Take a picture of the fancy treats you make, and post and tag us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest so we can see your delicious creations, try them ourselves, and share with others too.